Name: Decolonizing Economics Summit: The 4th Annual Post-Capitalism Conference
Dates: Thursday April 20 – Saturday April 22
Location: Virtual (with an in-person closing ceremony on April 22 in McKinleyville, CA)
Description: Anchored by the Wiyot Tribe’s Dishgamu Community Land Trust, several Cal Poly Humboldt faculty members, Green Eco-Socialist Network, Native Roots Network, New Economy Coalition, the US Solidarity Economy Network, and a growing network of additional partners, this 3-day virtual conference serves as a space to exchange experiences and information, strengthen alliances and networks, and to devise strategies to decenter colonial systems and implement concrete solutions to heal the land and people. Over 1,000 people participated in the 2022 Summit, and we expect even more in 2023!
Our Conference Goals:
- Educate about decolonizing economics in purpose and practice.
- Devise strategies to create an explicitly post-capitalist society using the “Solidarity Economy” framework:
- Solidarity, cooperation, and mutualism
- Equity in all dimensions–race/ethnicity/nationality/class/gender/sexual orientation/(dis)ability
- Participatory democracy
- Strengthen existing organizations, especially those doing solidarity economy work.
- Create a space for organizations to share best practices and collaborate across issues and constituencies toward collective liberation.
- Co-create concrete “next steps” for how we can implement cooperative economic practices in our community.
This conference will feature panels, presentations, performances, and skill-shops which address the various perspectives and approaches of grassroots organizations, community activists, educators, students, and others committed to social and environmental justice.
Sponsoring the Decolonizing Economics Summit:
Anchoring organization: We ask for a contribution of $500 or more. You will have a guaranteed space on a panel session if you want it. We will ensure that you are identified in the program and promotional materials. You agree to help promote the conference to your lists and networks.
Supporting sponsor: We ask for a contribution of $100-$499. We will ensure that you are identified in the program and all promotional materials. You agree to help promote the conference to your lists and networks. Contributions will be overseen by the Green Eco-Socialist Network.
Please contact David Cobb email@example.com if you have questions about the contribution process. Last year we raised enough money to cover conference costs and provided honorariums to all presenters. We expect to do so again, and will prioritize BIPOC presenters for honorariums. Please contact us if you or your organization are interested in donating time or other resources to this work.